Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pretending to be responsible

Today, I was sitting in the library at school doing some accounting homework and got pretty upset. I had just missed a couple of points on a homework assignment I submitted electronically and I didn't know what I had done wrong, but I had botched something. Well, subsequent to submitting my assignment, I noticed on my class schedule that I was supposed to have read about ten more pages than I did. I was pretty mad when I found out because if I would've noticed it earlier I could've gotten a better grade on my homework. Anyway, that's not my point. My friend, Ian, walked up to me and pulled out his laptop and asked me if I wanted to play a game of risk with him before our class started. I'll admit that I was tempted to play, but I decided that I should probably just read my textbook so that I would be more prepared for class; but, it was pretty hard to just sit there next to him and read, when I knew that I could be the mastermind behind a winning strategy. Needless to say, I didn't read my book and I helped Ian win in a few short rounds. I really should've read, but I decided to Risk it. I had good intentions, though. However, they say the highway to hell is paved with good intentions, so maybe good intentions aren't the best thing.

The Slippery Slope
When I started thinking about it, I noticed that I pretend to be responsible a lot. It's a slippery slope that starts with something harmless, like consuming a lot of bite-size portions of brownies instead of tackling a big piece; or reading a book in bed; or taking your backpack up to the cabin; or leaving a note written with a pink florescent marker on a white piece of paper explaining where you went; or having your laptop out to write a paper while you watch a movie; then there's getting a salad at an all-you-can-eat buffet; getting the Café Rio salad with a light dressing; ordering a small drink and then getting unlimited refills; or doing laundry at Cole's house while you play NCAA football and Tony Hawk for a few hours—just to name a few. There are many forms of pretending to be responsible. Which form are you?

4 comments:

Joseph said...

Unfortunately, I fall under the "blatantly irresponsible" category. I eat big slices of cake, play xbox during lunch at work and tonight, I'm skipping bishopric meeting to go bowling at fat cats. The only thing I've done in the last year that even resembles pretending to be responsible is canceling my cruise so I could "work". Boring. Maybe I should be an accountant.

Carrie said...

My hubby is funny :) and so are you Bob-o! Welcome to the blogging world. That's one of my slipperiest slopes--when I should be cleaning my house, playing with my kids, doing dishes, or actually showering and getting ready for the day I suddenly think about scanning in old pics and blogging about fun memories. It IS family history right?:)

mikemetcalf said...

I'm afraid video games are my Achilles heel. I'll always try to dampen the pain of homework by just playing a round or two of whatever it is I'm currently fixed on. Unfortunately, two rounds is no where close to satisfying, and I justify playing a few (like 8) more, because then my life will be balanced, and I'll be able to cope with the stresses of life, and fall asleep about 3 pages into reading my textbook.

The Gardners said...

I pretend to be responsible by putting on workout clothes and hanging out at my house instead of exercising- I usually plan on working out but then I just watch the today show or something silly. Funny post.