Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Joke Was On Me

I was at an Olympus High production this week and remembered about a mishap I had with the playbill when I played Riff in West Side Story. I wrote up my bio for the program and talked about how I wanted to open a slinky factory in Vernal, Utah to help the economy and try to grow the town to a potential Vernalopolis and make it a destination spot. I then went on to talk about how I planned to attend ITT Technical Institute, "Because you can't have the jobs of tomorrow, until you have the skills of today." I thought I was pretty funny*, but then the lady in charge of the program said that she wanted everyone (ie: Bob–it was one of those casual comments made in a group setting directed at one person) to submit entries that were a little more...what's the word..."not made up" for the program. Well, that wasn't really in the cards, so I excised everything about Vernal and Bloodfests, but decided that no one could really call my bluff about wanting to go to ITT Technical Institute, because, after all, some people really do want to go to that school. "I could really make a big deal and pretend to be offended if she questioned the validity of that statement," thought I. Well, it was all fun and games until I realized that because everything else in my blurb was serious, people would really think that I was going to attend ITT Technical Institute. This became more apparent as parents of friends approached me and said, "Bob, how long have you been planning to go to ITT Tech?" Then I'd have to start my lengthy explanation, "Yeah, about that...see, the thing is–"

*Sometimes when you look back at things you wrote a long time ago that you thought were funny, you read them again and find out that, yes, you were indeed funny; however, this was not one such occasion. The humor did not stand the test of time: I merely thought I was funny.

5 comments:

tommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tommy said...

'Tis better to be a part of Stephens Heneger Alumni. You know what they say though? When you dream, dream BIG. Some of life's best ideas should just be left in Jew Hideout.

Andrew and Ariel said...

Oh, Jew Hideout! How I miss thee! You could have at least written about your fetish with milk and your passion for the pogo, that was all valid, and documented. I think I said something about wanting to kill the Hamburglar.

Bobby said...

Haha, Andrew. I was just reading over this blog comment today, but chuckled heartily when I saw that you mentioned the Hamburglar, since that was my Halloween costume and all. My ward party was actually right next to the MPA social, but I didn't see you there.