Monday, May 5, 2008

Refusing to Close Blank Accounts

This is a shout out to my $35.72 savings at Granite Credit Union and my $1.80 checking reserve at Zion's Bank. It just doesn't make sense to close my account at Granite Credit Union because there's a certain sense of nostalgia associated with the account. I've had it for as long as I can remember. Besides, it's comforting to know that I have a coffer to cough up enough money to buy a pair of low-end pants if I were ever in a bind. As for the $1.80 at Zion's, I didn't realize how much money I didn't have in the account until Tom was riding in my car and saw my deposit slip and said, "Bob, how come you have so much money?" I looked at the meager savings and started laughing because I knew that the account balance was another $20 lower than it stated, notwithstanding the lowness of the account. That famine began when I opened up a Key Bank account to get a free iPod, and switched over my direct deposit, but it's still the account that I have connected to iTunes and eBay, so by keeping it low I tend to hedge against my online shopping appetite. Questions?

5 comments:

Bryce said...

Bob, I never did hear the story about you sleeping at Beto's. You'll have to tell me sometime. By the way I have an account at Granite Credit Union that is the same way.

Krista said...

hey I forgot to ask how your internship went with all the american idol excitement last night. so, how was it?

Lizzie Jones said...

Molly and I just went through pretty much all of your posts and laughed until we cried. You are our biggest fan. We love you Bobby. Post more.

The Gardners said...

Hey, looks like you haven't been so bloggy lately. We miss you.

johnnyboy said...

My GCU balance stands at $1.73. I, too, keep it open out of nostalgia, but my car payment is also tethered there. We finally closed down our back-to-back nanoaccounts at Key Bank, but I still have more bank accounts than Warren Jeffs has children—including three WAMU checking accounts (one in New York and two here). Don't even get me started on random credit card accounts.