Sunday, June 8, 2008

This is your captain speaking...

I just got back from visiting North Carolina. On the plane ride out there I thought I was going to die. For a few solid minutes, we had the worst turbulence I had ever experienced. I was getting a little bit nervous that one of the wings would pop off of the side of the plane and that the weight of my head would send the plane into a death spiral; but after a couple of minutes, it seemed to stop. Then the plane had a few more hard hits and then the plane dropped suddenly and the people that weren't buckled in bumped their heads on the ceiling and everything went flying off of everyone's tables. There was a laptop that landed in the aisle and a puppy that came out of its cage that scurried a few rows away and jumped up into someone's arms, shaking. One lady was screaming, which didn't help, and the little kids behind me were talking about how cool it was, and wanted to do it again. Me? I was so scared. After all of my internal organs had found their places again within my torso, the stress of the situation finally caught up with me. A couple of tears came out, but it didn't feel like I'd been crying, it was weird. I took off my headphones and pulled out my scriptures. I came to the realization that if the plane did go down, I didn't want my last memories of life to be of watching, "Mad Money," the in-flight movie starring Queen Latifa. It was interesting to read Alma 5 when you think you might really die. Suddenly questions like, "Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble?" became a lot more personal. Thankfully, a few prayers and a few hours later, we landed safely in Charlotte.

4 comments:

Michemily said...

Hi Bob,

I found your blog and it's hilarious. Thanks for writing. It sounds like you're doing well.

Michelle Glauser

Carrie said...

Yikes--Bob! I have never experienced such scary turbulence--and flying with my kids...sheesh, I can't imagine. Glad you got there safely!

Andrew and Ariel said...

I think I might use this post in my Gospel Doctrine Lesson on Sunday. It's on Alma 5-7 so it's appropriate. Glad you landed safely. It's true, I can't think of anything quite so depressing as dying with the image of Queen Latifah engraved upon my countenance.

Krista said...

I didn't hear this story yet. I loved it. thanks for giving me a laugh, but I am sorry you thought you were going to die. for some reason I'm sick like that and laugh (but only because you are okay). ;)