Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Airplane Food

There's something about eating airplane food that makes everyone on board bond. As you peel away the tin foil top of your entree, you look down at your meal and then to the person at your left, and then to the person at your right, and then you shrug your shoulders and put a fork in it, as if to say, "Oh well, here goes nothin'!"

The worst one was China Airlines' American style breakfast. It was either that or some soupy shrimp mixture that looked like an episode of diarrhea waiting to happen. I chose the former, but making the decision was kind of like how voting is sometimes, where you're really just choosing between two bad options.

What was in the American style breakfast, you ask? A soggy hash brown triangle that I could tell had never been crispy, a lukewarm mound of eggs still in the form of the 3/4 cup measuring scoop it was served with, a cherry tomato (random), and a shriveled sausage served at room temperature. I was in heaven.

6 comments:

The Gardners said...

You are so gross. LOL. I've missed you.

mikemetcalf said...

Sound divine. Maybe next year we can have airplanefoodfest in place of ribfest.

Or maybe not.

Bobby said...

Maybe we can just have airplane ribfest and we'll steam some mini ribs with poor quality meat and high fat content so that they're all gelatinous and uncrispy by the time we're ready to consume.

Jess said...

ok, on china airlines, I sat next to this Indian woman who requested a special meal. Mind you i was pregnant and sensitive to every smell. But man, I don't know what this meal was but it was the nastiest smelling thing I have ever taken a whif of and I had to hold in my vomit for the rest of the 6 hours we had on our flight. Horrible!!!

Jess said...

ok, on china airlines, I sat next to this Indian woman who requested a special meal. Mind you i was pregnant and sensitive to every smell. But man, I don't know what this meal was but it was the nastiest smelling thing I have ever taken a whif of and I had to hold in my vomit for the rest of the 6 hours we had on our flight. Horrible!!!

Bobby said...

Yeah, I had to do that on my mission a couple of times. There were a few meals that passed the gag reflex test and almost made me lose it, mid-meal. When you ignore the gag reflex you almost inevitably end up with acid reflux.