Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Time-out for a Spangling

Anyone who has ever ventured around BYU's campus around 7:30am or 5:30pm knows that their journey will be halted by the sound of a horn, and then a drum roll, followed by the Star-Spangled Banner. It's not that big of a deal to stop, because it only takes a minute and you can catch your breath if you just climbed a set of stairs; but sometimes it's raining, or it's frigid, or you're tired, or in a hurry. I've been hit by the morning Anthem about four times in the last two weeks, which hasn't been too bad (unless you count the time when they played it late and, as a result, I was late for class), but I still remember calling Johnny a couple of weeks ago at 5:29pm. Right after he answered, the music started and I found myself caught in a conundrum. I hustled past all of the stationary patriots like a pinball dodging pegs. There were varying sentiments emanating from the eyes of bystanders as I passed them and exchanged glances. One set of eyes said, "How dare you!" Another said, "Man, I wish I could do that," and yet another said, "Dude, why did we all of a sudden just stop?"

1 comment:

Jess said...

Totally remember those days, always feeling awkward. I think I was that person that just kept on walking. Not because I don't believe in patriotism, but sometimes. . . Miss the BYU.