Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Shameless Whistle

It's one thing to whistle in public while people around you are studying for finals. It's quite another to whistle with flagrant disregard for pitch and rhythm. I heard someone doing it not but ten minutes ago. I tried to ignore it, but it's hard to tune-out the out of tune. You know it's bad when you think it's Happy Happy Birthday and find out that it's supposed to be Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, with the key ascending as quickly as Rudolph would if he could.

Don't get me wrong—I'm not trying to dog whistling. I can appreciate the whistling solo on Steve Miller's Jung Love. In fact, I wish I could whistle well. I'm not too shabby, but I'm no resonant expert either. On the whistling toughness scale, I'm probably slightly above the level of Wusstle, which is why it's unlikely that you'll ever catch me whistling. But, if you do, rest assured that it will be on key, so you'll never have to what? my whistle.

2 comments:

Mary said...

i despise whistlers. Sometimes i can't believe Johnny is still alive after all these years....i only know the robin hood theme song via whistle. i realize people whistle to be gay and merry, but it just makes me plain angry. cursed ye be! there. i said it. and i don't feel one bit bad about it.

johnnyboy said...

I must admit that I accidentally found myself whistling the sacrament song during sacrament yesterday. I had both hands full and couldn't see the hymnal, so I just started singing it as if such an annoying and inappropriate contribution would actually count for something (head hanging in shame).