Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cold Sores

Someone once told me that if you haven't had a cold sore by the time you're 14, you're immune, and you'll never have one. Good one. Real funny.

I actually never had a cold sore until I was almost finished with my freshman year of college. It was an awful and unsightly experience and one that was completely new to me. I was happy when it was finally gone, but soon learned that it would come back to visit from time to time. It usually takes a year-long sabbatical before coming back and making a reservation right smack dab in the middle of my upper lip. The only things that are more obvious are 1) when you get a Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer pimple right on the tip of your nose, or 2) when you have a zit right between your eyebrows that looks like a red jewel you sometimes see women from India wearing on their foreheads.

Why do I write about this? Because the aforementioned cold sore decided to have spring break on my lip. Also, whenever it comes back, I always have a bright recollection of all my past cold sores. The worst part about this recurring monstrosity is that it always comes at times when I'm going to be meeting large groups of people (ie: the week I entered the MTC, during last year's PwC leadership conference in Chicago). It's one of those awkward things that makes me feel self-conscious and I always think that people are staring at it during conversations, partly because I'm paranoid, but partly because people are staring at it. It makes me feel obligated to introduce myself by saying, "Hi, I'm Bob and this is my cold sore."

It doesn't help that I came down to Provo last night and left my cold sore medicine in Salt Lake. I was going to buy some at the store because I could feel the cold sore starting last night, but the medicine was $15, so I'm sorey to say that I decided to tough it out until I got back to Salt Lake. In the meantime, my cold sore is on its way to becoming an eyesore. Now I'm trying to decide if that was worth $15.

4 comments:

Krista said...

ouch. Johnny gets them too. so sad. no kisses for awhile, for him that is. So, I saw this awesome commercial that is supposed to rid cold sores in 2-3 days. Is that possible? If I ever see the commercial I'll let you know.

Jess said...

Cold Sores and Bob remind me of only one thing, I won't mention her name, but a girl you once dated. Need I say more? UGh, it makes me ill everytime I think about that story.

Bobby said...

Yeah, that's the worst story in the world. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Michemily said...

Hi Bob, yes, I saw on facebook that you had chatted with Scott. We are really good friends, or at least, we were until he stopped having time to chat online. :( I'm glad to hear you got to know him. He's awesome. And every one of your posts makes me laugh. Strong work.