Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Melons

Some of you have already heard this story, but it's a classic, so I figured I would share it with everyone.

A couple of weeks ago at work everyone was eating lunch in the cafeteria. A guy at work opened up a Snapple green tea and under the cap of his drink was printed the usual unusual fact that he read aloud, "#244 The watermelon seed-spitting world record is about 70 feet."

A couple of people at the table doubted it. "Do you have any idea how far 70 feet is?" one guy asked. He stood up and walked about 30 paces to the edge of the lunch room and said, "This is about 30 feet. There is NO WAY someone could spit a watermelon seed 70 feet!"

Then the partner of our engagement piped up in his New York accent and said, "Yes they could! I could proahbably spit a woatuhmelon seed 60 feet. We have woatuhmelon seed-spitting coantests awl the time at family pahties."

No one believed him, which made him even more insistent. He was sitting about 20 feet away from me at the other end of a long cafeteria table and said, "You don't believe me? If I had a seed raight now, I could proahbably hit Bob raight in the fah-head"

Then I fired back at him and said, "Yeah, but Barry, that's not even impressive because my head is huge!"

The whole lunch room erupted into laughter and Barry's face turned bright red. He was laughing so hard I thought he was going to choke on his food.

No one had said anything about my melon up to that point in time but they were all laughing like I had just told the joke they knew I was the punch line of from the moment they met me.

1 comment:

Jarem and Camilla said...

Bob, it was great to catch up with you again today. We are glad to have you back...nice stories on the blog.