Thursday, October 8, 2009

The 5K

I have been thinking about running a 5K this weekend. An accounting firm is sponsoring a free 5K on Saturday morning and I tried to sign up online, but the online registration was already full, so I'll have to go on Saturday morning at 7:30am for the late registration. Hmmm...we'll see if 7:30am happens. Regardless of what happens on Saturday, I'd still like to run a 5K. A 5K seems like the perfect distance because you would be crossing the finish line right as your side ache kicks in. Okay, to be truthful, it would probably kick in a lot sooner than 5K for me, but at least a 5K isn't as devastating as a marathon. A marathon may be in my future, but definitely not in the immediate future. A 5K is much more doable and much more repeatable.

I still remember sitting at a mission reunion a few months ago with Sister Callister and a sister that served in my mission. The sister was telling about how she was having a hard time getting her husband to go running with her. "It's confusing to me," she said, "because you know how everyone kind of has this secret desire to run a marathon?"

I looked at Sister Callister and could tell from her eyes that she was tired just thinking about it. "I don't have that desire," Sister Callister admitted laughingly.

"Yeah, I don't think I want to run a marathon either," I added.

The conversation soon ended.

No comments: