Thursday, October 15, 2009

Shredding on the Guitar

Last night I played at Acoustic Explosion at BYU. I thought my band did a really good job. I got really into it and started shredding on the guitar. Now, when you read the word shred, you may have thought I meant this:

shred
verb
To play the guitar in a technically proficient manner

But, in reality, I meant this:

shred
verb
To cut or tear into small pieces, esp. small strips

Right in the middle of our first song, my guitar pick flung from my fingers and floated to the floor. A kid in my band picked up my pick and handed it to me. Aside from my guitar cutting out for about a measure, it wasn't really too noticeable. Unfortunately, about a stanza later, my pick flew out of my hands for a second time. I guess you could say that I wasn't able to to come to grips with the situation. My thirst for dropping picks was un'clench'able.

Knowing that the song must go on, I resorted to strumming the rest of the song with the fingernail on my middle finger. Apparently I was playing pretty hard because the guitar string shredded through a layer of skin on my middle finger. The funny thing about it was that I didn't even realize it had happened. I just remember looking down at my guitar while I was playing our second song and I saw a bunch of red streaked across my strings. "Hmmm...that's weird," I thought. "Must be the lighting." Only after the show did I glance down at my finger and gaze upon the grazing that had taken place.

There was another strange thing that happened while we were playing our last song. Some random girl walked up on stage and started dancing behind us while we played. No one really knew who she was or why she was there, but it was really weird. The bassist in my band thought she was a friend of the drummer until the drummer mouthed to the bassist in the middle of the song, "WHO IS THIS GIRL???" After we finished our set the girl ran up right next to me and started yelling stuff into the microphone. It was so weird... No one even knew her name. The only thing we knew about her was that she had just gotten out of rehab. She must have *sneaked out.

*sneaked is correct; it's not snuck

1 comment:

kushtia said...

Hi,
I am MILON.From Bangladesh.