Monday, April 5, 2010

Root Canals

Oh man, oh man, I hate root canals. I had one when I was a senior in high school and that was enough for me. But, tooth be told, life had something else in mind. On my mission that same tooth started to ache like crazy. When the aching intensified and caused my face to swell up and droop to one side, I knew it was time to find a dentist. So, I went to the dentist and he informed me that I needed a root canal.

"You seem to be mistaken," I said. "I have already had a root canal on that tooth."

"Oh, well, when you get a root canal there's a 1 in 10,000 chance you'll need to get another one," the dentist said. "It's called retreatment."

Why is it that I have yet to win a free iPod or TV, but when it comes to needing a second root canal it's winner winner chicken dinner?

As luck would have it, this past Friday one of my front teeth started to hurt. By Saturday morning I was in great pain and called the dentist and told him I needed a root canal, but he told me to wait until Monday.

So, today, I went in and the dentist said, "Yep, you need a root canal. Why don't you schedule a time to come in and get one."

The thing is, I wanted the root canal right then. I had known since Saturday that I needed a root canal because the feeling of needing one is unforgettable, so it was frustrating to go in on Monday, only to receive affirmation that I was right, and be told I would need to come back another day to get what I came for in the first place.

Whenever I have intense pain like this, I start to think about what I would trade to get rid of the pain. "I hardly ever use my right pinkie," I'll think. "I'd give up a pinkie to make it stop."

So, tomorrow morning I'll venture back to the dentist to get the root canal. Fortunately, if something goes wrong during the operation and I end up losing my front tooth, I can always salvage my smile with some rubber buckteeth.

2 comments:

Brittany Clark said...

1 in 10,000 ya right! I had a root canal 2ce on one tooth. Lame!! I hate dentists.

Krista said...

winner winner ckn dinner. that's funny. Bobby of all the luck! sorry dude.