Sunday, October 24, 2010

Old Spice Wrestlers

I stumbled upon an Old Spice commercial while I was supposed to be studying for the CPA exam this weekend. It's an old favorite of mine that I love for two reasons: first, because it's so awkward; second, because I was on the Olympus Junior High wrestling team and used to rock the singlet.

I would attach a picture of me in my singlet back in the day, but I didn't feel like using the pixelate tool in Photoshop tonight, so you don't get the privilege. I was pretty strong back then, though. Have you ever seen a 100lb boy in a singlet? It's pretty intimidating. Especially when his head weighs 30. I actually missed my only match one year because I had to take a safety test for woodshop. I was so mad. Mr. Pixton was so lame.

One funny thing, though... We learned this move called the chicken wing and to put someone in the chicken wing they have to be on their stomach and you put your hands underneath their elbows and pull their arms up behind them like chicken wings and you walk sideways across the mat while they're writhing in agony and they eventually flip over on their back and you pin them. Yeah, I know, it doesn't make sense, but hopefully you fighters out there follow what I'm sayin'.

Well, it was while we were learning this move that I figured out that I'm freakishly double-jointed in my shoulders. We were supposed to lie on our stomachs and bend our arms like wings so the other wrestler could practice the move. I wasn't really paying attention when the coach explained the move to us so I just laid on my back and made wings that came in front of my body instead of behind. The kid I was wrestling with just looked at me and said, "That's weird. I don't think you're supposed to be able to do that." It was so funny and even more funny because I had a bowl cut at the time.


No comments: